Friday, June 29, 2012

Two Chicks and Our Chicks! Love Our Chickens!!!

“Regard it as just as desirable to build a chicken house as to build a cathedral.”Frank Lloyd Wright 

No self respecting woman can have a farm without having a few chickens.  So.................after pricing the small chicken coops at Orscheln's, I decided my long suffering, ever so talented brother David could build it bigger, better and cheaper (not to mention adding my special request for a garden on the top).  Boy was I right about that!


Becky loves to tend the chickens when she gets home from work.
  

We have three Black Star hens and one white Sussex hen and a white Sussex rooster.  Love our chickens!
 

David built them some shade for mid day using PVC pipe and a tarp.  Love our chickens!
 

With the 100+ degree temps, I've been adding bottles of ice to their water bowls in the afternoon.  Love our chickens!
 

We feed our chickens inside the coop late in the evening and lock them in for the night.  The coop is inside a chicken wire fence which is inside a chain link fence.
 

Becky has a veggie patch on top with lettuce, cabbage and tomatoes (tomatoes got lost in the pic by the trees in the background).
The day after they arrived, they started laying eggs (two). We have at least three eggs a day and sometimes four. Like the solar power, it doesn't sound like much but boy do they add up fast. I'm learning that the number of ways to cook eggs is endless. I would like to share them with friends and neighbors but everyone has chickens around here. I can hear roosters crowing in all directions.

O.K. this is the last picture I'm going to post today of the chickens and the coop!
Love our chickens!

Another great thing about having chickens is the poop.  Yeah, I know.  It's hard to get excited about cleaning out the chicken coop every day but the straw and poop will be a great fertilizer for our garden next year.  Gotta keep my eye on the prize when I have chicken poop splashed all over my legs and the smell is a little on the toxic side, especially in this heat.
Our first two eggs!  Love them chicks!

Early morning is my favorite time of the day.  After I spend two hours watering all the fruit trees and bushes, taking care of my big dogs outside, cleaning chicken poop, watering the veggies and hauling trash to the dumpster, it's time to sit down under the shade tree with my cup of coffee and, yes, my cigarrette, and just relax watching our chickens do their happy chicken thing.  I love living in the country and I love our chickens.  There's something just so darn comforting in watching the chickens meander around at a slow, calm pace (farm t.v. you know).  Much better than watching fish in a tank! 

Have a great day and come back again to see what we try next.

Have you had a kindness shown?
Pass it on;
'Twas not given for thee alone,
Pass it on;
Let it travel down the years,
Let it wipe another's tears,
'Til in Heaven the deed appears -
Pass it on.
~Henry Burton, Pass It On

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...